Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dinah's Cat in the Hat Testing Poem, Part B



Good morning and happy birthday to Dr. Seuss! This pic is from a national conference session where we performed my poem. I think this is the one we did in San Antonio.

Here's the B section of the poem. There's one section where the audience takes part, reading the words of the voice of reason, in my head. When we do it with schools, it's the students who say this part. You could throw the words up on a SmartBoard, or make a poster someone could hold up, or prep the students beforehand.

THE NIGHT BEFORE TESTING, PART B  by Dinah Pike Houston

B.) I got up from my desk and walked across the floor.
Suddenly The Cat in the Hat burst through the door!
"Why, oh why do you sit there like that?
The test doesn't matter!" said The Cat in the Hat. (gasp!)
"Let's go upstairs and jump on your bed!
We'll jump so high you'll bump your head!"

But I remembered what I learned at school And I heard a voice that was really, really cool:
MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES, YOU LEARNED ABOUT THAT.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CAT IN THE HAT!

I told him quite politely I was trying to score a four
And I would not be swayed even if I were a bore!
"Let's play, don't study! Let's eat some junk food!"
You know Mr Cat, I don't like your attitude.....


No comments:

Post a Comment