Saturday, September 15, 2012

Double Fudge by Judy Blume


        One of my classes is reading Double Fudge by Judy Blume. We are working on character details and this is how they used what they've learned. I told them that each day, after they had read, if they'd paid attention to details and could answer my questions, we would do a piece of a special project. Their attention to details was impressive!

         One day we drew the head of our chosen character from the book, using markers, and then cutting it out. The next day we choose colored paper and learned to accordion-fold. Another day we wrote in important details about our character. The last day we made arms and feet from the scrap paper and hung them in the hall.

                                        This is what I drew on the board for their example.

  One boy had already read this book, so he was reading Island Book One: Shipwreck. He made his favorite character, too. This could work for any book! I hope you try it.

        I was surprised that everyone chose a boy character, even all the girls! We have Peter, Fudge, Mini-Fudge, Jimmy Fargo, and the shoe-store salesman. The students love them and I even saw one mom come in and snap a photo of her son's with her iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment